Some fantastic CPD here from Daren White – teacher and Google for Education CPD expert. In this spooktacular post, Daren talks us through 5 G-Suite ‘trick and treats’ for you to explore this Autumn half term.
It’s been a crazy half-term with back to back Open Evenings, parent consultations, running an ESS Bootcamp in Aberdeen with Appsevents and leading lots of staff CPD as we’ve started to roll out Lenovo E500 Flip Chromebooks to staff at my schools.
I’ve got to say I love mine, it light, works as a tablet, has a garaged stylus that is very responsive and the key thing for me, I charge it every 3 days, not every 30 minutes like I did with my old laptop.
The ability to use apps like Squidnotes and Jamboard on my chromebook has been a godsend for me as a MFL specialist, eliminating the clunkiness of adding special characters when writing on screen. Now I just get on with it which keeps the pace high but also, I believe, develops students’ comprehension skills as they have to read handwriting rather than typed fonts.
As colleagues have come to me with questions, it’s been great fun trying to find resolutions to issues and it’s a work in progress at this stage. We’re still looking at the best way to use Smart Notebook on our chromebooks as many staff, especially in maths and science, have a large bank of lessons they want to keep using.
1. Tabcloud is a great little extension that enables you to build specific tab set up for different purposes. I use it to create a tab cloud for each class. Each ‘cloud’ is customisable and when opened, will bring up all the tabs you’re going to need at once in a new window. As you will see from the screenshot you can preload any number of sites including classrooms, drive, website etc.
Find tabcloud here
2. Keep Awake extension is a great extension for chromebooks when using in class or for presenting. It does what it says on the tin, preventing your chromebook from going to sleep when in 🌞mode and allowing sleep in 🌔mode. Get the extension here
3. Jamboard has come to web as well as devices now and the two make a great team. Projecting from a desktop on screen in class and then roaming the room with the Jamboard app on my chromebook, I can allow students to contribute and control what’s on screen. Great for redrafting, peer assessment and organisational thinking. Jamboard has some amazing features.
Check out my video intro to Jamboard…
4. CC – Closed Captions in Slides is another terrific addition to Google Slides, enabling presenters to speak and have subtitles display almost immediately. Ok, so it’s not 100% perfect yet but if you speak clearly it’s pretty darn accurate. Great for presenting to groups who may have hearing difficulties and also for video recordings using Screencastify. This enable you to limit your slides to minimal information (as we all should) and then talk through the key points.
Just go to present and click the CC button in the control bar that appears at the bottom.
5. Mentimeter.com is another great tool for gathering quick information. Post a poll or question, display a code and get your audience to vote from their devices. You and they will see results appear in real time. Here’s an example of what your audience would see.
Securus provide market-leading monitoring solutions to safeguard students on ALL devices both online and offline. We also offer a full monitoring service, where we carry out the monitoring on behalf of the school, freeing up valuable staff resources. From the smallest school to large MAT groups, Securus offers safeguarding protection for all!
Vivify partners with schools across the country to hire out their facilities outside of school hours to enable them to generate much needed revenue that can be invested back into their facilities, teachers, and student experience. Opening up school facilities for communities to get together can improve mental and physical wellbeing, boost confidence, tackle loneliness and help people feel more positive about life.
As European leaders of Time Management Solutions, Bodet offer Lockdown, Clock, Bell & PA Systems. Harmonys, our five-in-one IP/PoE Bell System, provides a unique customisable lockdown or panic alarm alert. Melodys, a Wireless Bell System, is useful where wiring can be difficult.
Robotical makes Marty the Robot - a walking, dancing coding robot that makes programming fun and engaging for learners as young as 5. Our robots come with a full Learning Platform that has complete teaching resources, to make lesson planning a breeze.
As a group, Fusion Education People Solutions provide innovative HR Services and Software (SAM, SAMpeople and FACE-Ed), developed specifically for the sector by education specialists. We are trusted by over 1000 schools and trusts across the UK.
Are you looking for solutions? Let us help fund them! Nexus Education is a community of over 11,000 schools that come together to share best practise, ideas and CPD via online channels and free to attend events. Nexus also offers funding to all school groups in the UK via nexus-education.com
Our website and ready-to-use resources bring to life the incredible stories of game changers from history – ordinary people who used their character strengths to help them achieve extraordinary things. Our site has been carefully designed to support learning and development on a whole-school basis, across the whole curriculum.
Speech Therapy support for schools and nurseries. We offer quality and bespoke services by prioritising training, assessment and effective therapy for children.